I’ve been listening to a lot of music lately. While exercising to some my favorite artists and tunes, I’ve been strolling down memory lane. And it occurred to me that it might be worthwhile to list – for the benefit of Chloe and Sophie – some of my all-time favorite songs.
So that when I’m old and gray (and no, I’m not entirely old and gray yet, although I am definitely more gray than I am old), the girls can listen to this music and think fondly of their mom. And get to know me a little better, through the music I love. And perhaps realize, through this playlist, that I’m much cooler than I sometimes let on.
In no particular order, here’s the Top 20 list, which is very heavy on music I listened to when I was a teen (and which goes to show you how influential those crazy years are).
(1) Young Americans by David Bowie. Anyone who grew up with me knows how I obsessively idolized him as a teen and fantasized about hooking up with him.
(2) Blackbird by the Beatles.
(3) Layla by Eric Clapton.
(4) Space Oddity by David Bowie. As I said, I loved him.
(5) Just Can’t Get Enough by Depeche Mode.
(6) Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears.
(7) Songbird by Fleetwood Mac.
(8) The Killing Moon by Echo & the Bunnymen.
(9) Jungleland by Bruce Springsteen.
(10) Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day.
(11) My Sharona by The Knack.
(12) Suzanne by Leonard Cohen.
(13) Are You Ready to Be Heartbroken? by Lloyd Cole & the Commotions.
(14) Band on the Run by Paul McCartney & Wings.
(15) Losing My Religion by R.E.M.
(16) Beast of Burden by the Rolling Stones.
(17) This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody) by the Talking Heads.
(18) Logical Song by Supertramp.
(19) With or Without You by U2.
(20) Bonnie & Clyde by Serge Gainsbourg & Brigitte Bardot.